Friday, May 2, 2014

QuickSmart Egg Curry

I love egg curry. It is my go to comfort curry whether I am having a bad day and need a pick me up or when it is one of lazy days when I can leisurely whip up a tasty curry, make some fried rice and toss in a couple of fritters while I am at it. I learnt to make egg curry from my grandmother actually. It was one of those days after school when she was minding me and my sister and to make sure that we stayed out trouble showed us how to make this particular dish. Her curries would always begin with caramelizing a little bit of sugar and then tossing in jeera and onions so as to make a slightly sweet and very savory curry to go with hot rice, dal and karela sabzi that she would have prepared earlier. It is one of my favorite memories of her - standing by the window patiently, framed in the afternoon light, as she guided us through the step by step process of cooking.

So returning to the recipe at hand, this was first sampled in the heartland of Kerala as a breakfast treat. The friend I was staying with - her mother had made idiappams and mutta curry which basically meant stringhopper idlis with egg curry. After that, I had the chance to sample it when this friend attempted to recreate it later. And it was delicious. This recipe is an adapation of the tastes that remain in the memory and cause incredible cravings months later.

Ingredients:
2 boiled eggs
1 large onion sliced
1inch ginger chopped
6 cloves garlic chopped
2 green chillies chopped
8 curry leaves
4tbsp tomato puree*
1tsp red chili powder
1tsp cumin powder
1tsp coriander powder
1tsp kitchen king powder
1tsp garam masala
 salt to taste
1/2 cup coconut milk
4tbsp water
Oil for cooking

Method:
Boil eggs for twelve minutes.
Heat oil in a saucepan. Add curry leaves. Be careful as they splatter. Fry onions till light brown - this should take a few minutes. Sprinkle ginger, garlic and one chopped green chilly. Cook for four minutes.
Add the tomato puree, the other chopped chilli, salt, red chili, coriander, cumin and kitchen king powders. Cook for a few minutes. Add a little bit of water so as get a smooth consistency.
Remove from heat and add coconut milk and water. Sprinkle garam masala. Adjust seasonings. The curry should be a thick soupy consistency by now. Add the egg and fold in. Serve hot with rice, rotis or pretty much anything that you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment