Sunday, July 21, 2013

Egg Roast

For me when I encounter a new recipe, the impulse has to be to research as much as possible on it. I have to know its many adaptations, how my friends like to eat it, what other dishes go with it. One such recipe was Egg roast. My friend and fellow blogger Sulfia introduced me to this recipe. The dish was surprisingly easy to make and incredibly tasty to eat. Forgive the rapture, but a simple dish made well - that is the key. And I cannot contain my excitement when I think of the taste that lingered after the meal. She advised me to have it with rotis which is the best way to eat it. And as I agree with that judgement, I will pass it on.

When I decided to make it, the obvious route was to go to the books. And in times such as this, The Suriani Kitchen is my go to cookbook. Lucid with tried and tested recipes, this book gives you an insight into the culinary tastes of Kerala. I have already adapted the recipe for Thoran in my previous posts - with excellent results. And this again was no exception. You do need to give time for the onions to caramelize and yes you need a lot of oil for this recipe. My friend Sulfia suggests using olive oil. I have done so in this recipe and found the taste to be equally good as one made with regular vegetable oil. All you have do is to throw in a couple of fluffy, soft rotis and Monday night dinner is taken care of.



 Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs
6 medium onions sliced
7 curry leaves
2 slitted green chilies
1 tbsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
3/4 cup olive oil

Method:
Heat oil. Add the onions and sprinkle a little salt to prevent it from burning. You need to give the onions at least 15 to 20 minutes to caramelize. Add the curry leaves and slitted green chilies. The onions should be a rich golden brown color at this point of time.
Add the spice powders and check for salt. Fold everything in.
Cut the eggs in half and add to the onions. Serve immediately.

1 comment: