Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Weekday Egg Chowmein

Weekdays are the perfect settings for killing of culinary inspiration. Chores, classes all come together to give procrastination the upper hand. Maybe next day, you think, hunting up for the take out menu. Trust me that first day I will go for the menu and gorge myself on chicken biryani and succulent malai kebabs. But the next weekday in a bid for healthy lifestyle[and a pretense of jogging] I will do a supermarket run to hunt up veggies from the supermarket and make myself Chowmein.
Rumor has it that the Chinese came over to India through Calcutta and adapted the Chinese cuisine to suit the Indian needs. It filtered down from the restaurants and into the local street hawkers who combined have changed the tastes and menus of what their food is supposed to be. I mean manchurian anyone. Deep fried balls of minced vegetables smothered in cornflour,soy and vinegar thickened gravy they are probably an insult to the sweet and sours and mu shus but oh so incredibly tasty.
The chowmein comprises of the barest of ingredients and best to have on nights when work is breathing down your neck and you need to have something to inspire you.

The egg noodles recipe is the easiest recipe that you can make it record time. Use a mandoline to make slicing the veggies easier. Even without it it takes maximum ten minutes to make through it. I like it just with scrambled eggs and lots of vegetables. But you can marinate some chicken in soy and red chili sauce and some chinese seasonings and fry it before the rest.
Ingredients:
1 packet egg noodles
1 medium onion
1 inch ginger
3 cloves garlic
1 capsicum
2 medium carrots
3 strands french beans
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp red chili sauce
2 tbsp vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs
1 ltrs water
4 tbsp oil
The recipe proceeds in five easy steps
First slice all the vegetables into long slices. Mince garlic and ginger. Then dunk the noodles into water with a tbsp of salt and oil. Cook for five minutes. Drain and run through cold water. Toss with 2 tbsp oil to avoid clumping. This step is important. Trust me you wont like the result.
Heat oil. Saute ginger and garlic. As they release their aromas add onions. Cook till onions are golden brown. Add all the veggies. As they start to wilt around ten minutes later add the sauces and seasonings.
 Make a hole at the center of the veggies. Whisk eggs and add. Scramble and then fold in with the veggies.
Add the noodles and fold in. If necessary adjust soy and vinegar. Fold in till noodles are completely coated.
 Have a large helping of it while hunched over the laptop and researching stats. It does make a huge difference. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. You know, if I hadn't had food already I'd hate you for putting up these delicious-looking pics! It looks and sounds yummy. Since rice noodles is difficult to come by I think I'll try it with maggi and see :D

    I look forward to your next update (and will make sure I have some munchies nearby when I check it :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well the fact that I was happily devouring down the noodles with no sense of propriety while the cook was busy taking photos should say something about the tatse...pics are colorful and yumm! keep cooking (of course invite me) and writing about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. More of it please..for us people who are contemplating leaving the mess and are unsure as to what they will cook in future if they do so..

    ReplyDelete
  4. If my blog achieves that...I will be absolutely delighted :)

    ReplyDelete